Guide to choosing the best nursing bra
When it comes to breastfeeding, I can say that I am a mother with a tone of an experience. I have breastfed for a 4 and a half years in total. My three kids enjoyed nursing for a year and a half each. It was a great period.
Still, there were milestones that I needed to overcome. Although I was enjoying it all that time, nursing was not just wine and roses, you know.
How do breasts change during the breastfeeding?
My breasts have started to change back in the first trimester. You may say that I am exaggerating. Believe me, I’m not.
During the pregnancy and nursing, your body goes through often changes of a hormone-level. This disbalance can cause:
- Breast tenderness – variable
- Color change – they get darker
- Size change – they can go up a size or two
- Stretch marks
- Skin Itch
- Pre-labor leaking – colostrum (the first milk) may leak even before the delivery
- Swollen breasts
- Nipple pain
All these symptoms can be just a temporary problem, without disturbing you at all. But if any of them enthrone itself, obviously, you’ll need a first-aid-helper – the best nursing bra!
What fabrics are good for you?
The most women like wearing natural fabrics next to the skin. Cotton, silk, and bamboo fiber are really comfortable, especially, during this sensitive period of breastfeeding when your breasts are tender.
Still, women need to feel pretty, too. Although they became mothers, they haven’t stopped being women. This is why some synthetic materials that can be found in the lingerie make it look nicer and more feminine. They also add value because artificial fiber allows you to wash these bras more often, without losing its appearance. The percentage of this fiber should be less than 30%. If it is higher, it can collect moisture in the nipple area causing bacterial or yeast infection.
In the end, I can tell that the combination of natural and synthetic materials is usually the winning one.
· It is easily unzipped
· If you want to wear some tight clothes, it will stand out
· It is very easy to lower the cup and release the breast
· The straps are usually adjustable
· If it releases just a nipple it doesn’t provide a full-skin-contact with your baby
2 in 1, you can use this accessory for nursing and pumping
You are able to do other things while pumping
It is just an accessory, you should have another bra for using this one
Read my experience with Momcozy Double Breast Pump.
Tips for buying a perfect nursing bra
- It needs to be made from a breathable tissue – cotton, silk, or bamboo fiber, with a small percentage of synthetic.
- Avoid bras with bones. They can be uncomfortable to wear, but also can stop the milk flow if you choose the wrong bra size.
- Try to choose bras that do not open completely in front. Otherwise, it would be hard to place breasts back.
- It is important to be able to open and close your bra with one hand since you will hold the child with another one.
- A nursing bra has to be comfortable. If it is too narrow, it can press the milk ducts and blocks the milk flow.
- Choose the one with minimum seems since they can rub your nipples and skin and make them even tenderer.
- It would be the best to buy three bras – one to wear at the moment while the second is for washing, and the third is ready if needed, in the closet. Still, this depends on your budget.
How to choose the right size of a nursing bra?
I had a huge problem to determine my size. This is why I conducted a research and found out how you can measure the bra size precisely. I’ll share this tip with you:
- While wearing your bra, measure around the band. Then, look at this chart below and find your BAND SIZE.
- Measure around the fullest part of your breast. Then round off the result to the next whole number. You’ll get your BUST SIZE. (34.6’’ = 35‘‘)
- To get your CUP SIZE, deduct your band size from a bust size:
35’’ – 32’’ = 3 (C cup)
As a nursing mother, whatever bra you purchase, you will be satisfied. Your little precious one gives you more important things to worry about, every day.
On the other hand, as a woman, your body still needs to feel comfortable, safe and loved. By choosing the right nursing bra, you will show that you still love it, although it has passed through significant changes. This will make you satisfied and happy fresh new mom.