Learn how to express milk safely?
In preparation for the arrival of a child, every mother makes a list of necessary things. In addition to clothes, first aid kits, and care products, it is advisable to add a breast pump to this set. It may be needed from the very first days of the baby's life, so you should also know the breast pump working.
This device not only expresses milk in reserve but also contributes to the development of the mammary glands, preparing them for feeding.
With the coming of a newborn baby, a woman has a lot of new responsibilities and concerns. The main one is feeding the crumbs. But often in women, milk disappears or it is not enough for the baby. Knowing breast pump working will help solve this problem.
What is this device? How to use a breast pump correctly so as not to harm your health? Let's consider these questions in detail.
Breast Pump - A Reliable Assistant for a Mother
The breast pump was created to help women who need to express their breast milk regularly. Having mastered this simple device, you can easily empty the breast swollen from milk, thereby preventing the development of mastopathy, and milk stagnation in the milk ducts, and also contributing to longer lactation.
Breast Pump Care
Having figured out that the breast pump working, you need to familiarize yourself with the basic rules for caring for it.
The main focus is thorough sterilization. Milk residues on the appliance itself, jars, and storage containers contribute to the development of a bacterial environment. At best, the milk will turn sour, at worst; pathogenic bacteria will enter the baby's body. They can cause intestinal infections and stomatitis.
To avoid trouble, you must:
- Wash all parts of the appliance, the bottle, and the container for storing milk with baby detergent;
- Thoroughly rinse the parts;
- Load into the sterilizer or boil. Sterility after all manipulations is maintained for 30 minutes. In the case of using fully sealed devices, the dishes are protected from the effects of germs and bacteria for up to 24 hours.
Why should you know the breast pump working?
By learning breast pump working, you will be able to control the successful lactation process. When you are faced with the choice of whether to continue breastfeeding or not, this device can be an assistant in solving the problem.
Use it if:
- You have little milk and the baby is not full - supplement him with expressed milk;
- Stagnation in the chest was found - the use of a breast pump helps to get rid of an unpleasant phenomenon;
- You need to go away and don't want to formula feed your baby.
How to express breast milk with a breast pump?
Despite the safety and environmental friendliness of the manual method, with a lack of free time, it is better to resort to the pumping technique using a breast pump. Many mothers are interested in whether it is possible to express breast milk with an electrical device.
Modern manufacturers offer manual and electric breast pumps, which are made of safe materials, corresponding to the anatomical features of the female breast, and are adjustable in speed and power. So the choice between them should be based solely on the mom's preferences and budget. Moreover, they should also know breast pump working.
Electric Breast Pump Working
Electric breast pumps are equipped with a special pad that is applied to the breast and wrapped around it evenly. When turned on, a vacuum is created, due to which milk begins to stand out from the breast. In hand-held devices, instead of an electric motor, a special mechanism is installed, which, when pressed, also creates a vacuum. Both devices are equipped with special milk receivers.
Try 5 Levels Wearable Electric Breast Pump - S9 from Momcozy
You can choose from a range of best electric breast pump from Momcozy. You can try 5 Levels Wearable Electric Breast Pump - S9 which comes with 10 intensity for smooth milking, and there is no wire pumping around which make your pumping experience seamless.
The main features of this product include:
- The charging time is 2.5 hours
- You can use it for up to 50-70 minutes
- 5 different Adjustable suction levels
In general, it takes about 45 minutes to fully express both breasts. To reduce the pain that occurs during the process, you can choose a breast pump model that mimics the effect of sucking.
How to use an electric breast pump?
Start using an electric milk pump by sterilizing all parts. When this process is completed, assemble the device according to the instructions that came with the device. Next, you need to wash your hands well with soap, rinse your chest, sit comfortably in a chair, and calm down.
As soon as the breast pump starts to work, imagine that this child is sucking your breast, relax, and try to set yourself up psychologically for this process.
Put the funnel of the device on your chest. Pay attention that the nipple is located directly in the center of this nozzle - this will be correct. Select the minimum exposure mode. Gradually change modes, choosing the most optimal for yourself.
For example, if the pumping principle is chosen correctly, milk will flow in an even or intermittent stream. You should not feel pain or discomfort. There the mother should get training on breast pump working.
On average, the pumping process lasts 12-15 minutes, after which you need to remove the device from the chest. Milk should be placed in an airtight container, marked with the date and time of pumping, and stored in the refrigerator for a maximum of 48 hours.
How to keep the breast pump in fully working condition?
Whichever device is chosen, the following rules for its use should be strictly observed, which will help maintain a healthy breast, avoid stagnation of breast milk, and also keep the breast pump in working condition:
- The new device must be removed from the box and thoroughly rinsed with warm water for all parts that will be in direct contact with the mammary gland, as well as the milk receiver if it is planned to feed the baby with expressed milk;
- The container for collecting milk should not be forgotten to be washed after each use, as well as sterilized it;
- Express milk only with clean hands;
- Use the device only after carefully studying the instructions attached to it;
- To express breast milk most comfortably and correctly, you need to try to choose the optimal individual mode; if an electric breast pump is used, you should practice manual to develop the best mode of pressure and intensity of movements;
- How often you can use a breast pump depends on personal needs, manufacturers do not regulate this, as well as the duration of a pumping session over time;
- After decanting, you need to rinse the parts, and sterilize those that are subject to sterilization;
- Store the device in a special package or a clean, cool place, it is better to cover it with a clean, iron-ironed cloth to prevent dust from settling during infrequent use.
Some expensive electric models can be rented to test in action before making a final purchase decision. All electric models come with a one-year warranty.
Is it good to use manual breast pump right after delivery?
Pumping requires some skills like fully acknowledging breast pump working. A woman who has given birth for the first time and has never faced the need to drain her breast before can face a huge number of difficulties and incomprehensible moments. Therefore, a manual model of sucking breast milk is recommended to start pumping.
It is more suitable for the inexperienced, as it makes it possible to examine their breasts, to determine with what pressure force the milk will come out freely.
Then, when lactation stabilizes, it will be possible to start using electric breast pump. Regardless of the type of device or device used, the procedure for use will include several steps.
Preparation before Pumping Involves Several Steps.
- At the preparation stage, a woman needs to dip in boiling water for several minutes those parts of the breast pump that are recommended by manufacturers for sterilization. At this time, you should thoroughly wash your hands with baby soap, and prepare a place for pumping.
- The chest is rinsed with warm or cool water, but it is not recommended to use soap to wash the nipples, since alkaline environments dry the delicate skin of the mammary gland. Overdried nipple tissues are more prone to the formation of painful cracks.
- Some doctors recommend taking a warm shower and drinking a glass of tea with milk before you start pumping, which will trigger the flow of milk and make it easier
The process of breast pump working is as follows:
- One of the mammary glands is fixed with the right hand, then the part of the device adjacent to it is fixed around the nipple so that the nipple itself is strictly in the center;
- After making sure that the pad fits quite tightly, you need to start pumping out by turning on the device or acting on the working part mechanically (depending on the type); at first, the milk will come out in small drops, then it will begin to drain in a trickle;
- In the process, you need to stop and lightly massage the mammary gland with your hands in the direction from the base to the nipple along the ducts; pressing on the chest, squeezing it strongly is not necessary - it is painful and traumatic, and most importantly, it is completely useless, after a light massage, the pumping process resumes;
- The procedure should be continued until the feeling of emptiness, and lightness in the mammary gland appears;
- After finishing with one breast, you need to wipe it with a clean cloth and transfer the pad to the second breast; everything is the same with her.
A Tip to Remember
At the end of pumping, it is worth rinsing the nipples with cool water without soap and blotting with a clean cloth or diaper. In the presence of cracks and damage, it is necessary to lubricate them with Bepanthen . The breast pump should be disassembled, washed, and dried on a napkin without wiping.