As a busy nursing mother, you know that finding time to pump can be a challenge. You want to keep up your milk supply but also need to work, run errands, and care for your family. That's where wearable breast pumps come in!
Wearable pumps allow you to pump on the go, with no need to be tied to an outlet and pump machine. But how exactly do you use one of these innovative pumps? Let's go over some tips.
Choosing a Wearable Breast Pump
With Momcozy making wearable pumps, you have options. Look for a pump with:
- A good battery life: Many can go 2-3 pumping sessions before needing a recharge.
- Adjustable suction levels: Choose one with multiple settings to make pumping comfortable.
- A closed system: This keeps the pump hygienic.
- A discreet profile: Opt for a subtle shape if pumping in public.
- BPA/phthalate-free: Ensure any materials touching your breast or milk are non-toxic.
Take into account your lifestyle and pumping habits to choose the right wearable pump for you.
More info about choosing: How to Choose Best Portable Breast Pumps?
Getting Positioned Correctly
Getting set up is key for an efficient, comfortable pumping session. Follow these tips:
- Insert flanges correctly: Position them over your nipple and areola without rubbing. Ensure a tight seal.
- Adjust settings: Start on a low suction level and increase as milk flow establishes.
- Get the right fit: Tighten or loosen the band as needed. It should fit snug but not constricting.
- Find a comfy spot: Sit or stand with good posture to let milk flow easily.
- Relax: Deep breaths and gentle massage can help stimulate let-down.
Pumping On the Go
One of the biggest perks of wearable pumps is their portability. Here are some pointers for pumping on the go:
- Carry extras: Tote along extra flanges, milk storage bags, and an insulated pouch.
- Scout a clean spot: Find a bench, your car, or another low-key place to pump if needed.
- Store milk properly: Pack ice packs and transfer milk to a cooler or fridge as soon as possible.
- Multitask lightly: You can pump while walking slowly, folding laundry, etc. Avoid intense activity.
- Be discreet: With the right clothing over it, the pump is very subtle. But have a cover-up like a nursing scarf just in case.
Cleaning and Sanitizing
Like any pump, it's vital to keep your wearable pump clean. Refer to the manufacturer's instructions, but general tips include:
- Take apart fully: Disassemble all parts that touch your breast or milk.
- Wash thoroughly: Use warm, soapy water and rinse completely.
- Sanitize occasionally: Use mild sanitizers like Milton fluid to deep clean.
- Air dry: Allow all parts to fully air dry before reassembling.
- Replace parts: Swap out valves, membranes, flanges per guidelines to maintain suction.
Storing Breast Milk
The portability of wearable pumps means you'll often store milk away from home. Some guidelines:
- Use milk storage bags: They are designed for transport and freezing.
- Label bags: Include the date and time you pumped each batch.
- Refrigerate ASAP: Get milk into a fridge within 4 hours, if possible.
- Use ice packs: Pack milk in an insulated bag or cooler with ice packs if no fridge available.
- Avoid direct freezing: Don't freeze milk in the storage bags. Transfer to rigid containers first.
Certain extras can make wearable pumping more convenient:
- Hands-free bra: This helps secure flanges in place as you multi-task.
- Extra batteries/power pack: For longer pumping sessions on the go.
- Car adaptor: Plug in your pump in the car if batteries run low.
- Cooler pack: Insulated bags keep milk cold if you can't refrigerate immediately.
- Labeling stickers: Identifying milk batches helps with rotation and tracking.
Maximizing Milk Supply
Wearable pumps make it easier to pump more often to boost supply. You can also try:
- Warm compress: Apply a heated pack to your breasts before pumping to stimulate flow.
- Massage breasts: Use light massage motions to help trigger let-down.
- Double pump: Simultaneously pumping both sides can increase output faster.
More tips about breast pump: Make Sure to Pay Attention to These Tips When Using a Breast Pump
A Game Changer for Pumping Moms
Wearable breast pumps give busy moms flexibility, mobility and convenience when it comes to pumping. Follow these tips on setup, use, cleaning and storage to get the most out of your pump. With the ability to pump anytime, anywhere, maintaining your milk supply just got a whole lot easier. Give wearable pumping a try for a simpler way to integrate pumping into your active life!
If you're interested in understanding the advantages further, consider reading about the benefits of wearable electric breast pumps to see if this solution aligns with your lifestyle. With the right breast pump, maintaining an adequate milk supply while navigating through your daily tasks can become a much more manageable endeavor.