Heading back to work after maternity leave marks an exciting yet challenging milestone for many new moms. As you transition from being home with your little one to juggling your career, you may worry about maintaining your breastfeeding relationship.
But having to separate from your baby for work doesn't mean you have to stop providing them with your breast milk. With the right breast pump, working moms can easily express and store their milk to allow their baby to continue receiving the amazing benefits of breastmilk.
Deciding to invest in a top-quality breast pump can make balancing work and breastfeeding possible. This essential piece of equipment allows you to stock up on your liquid gold for feedings when you’re on the job. Learn why pumping is a must for working, breastfeeding mothers and tips for optimizing your experience.
Benefits of Pumping Breast Milk for Working Moms
While nursing your baby directly is ideal, having pumped milk on hand offers working mothers several advantages:
- The most direct benefit of pumping breast milk is that it allows the mother to provide breastmilk for her baby even when separated. Pumping allows someone else to bottle feed the breastmilk when the mother is not available, such as when she returns to work. This allows the baby to continue receiving the nutrients and immunities of the mother's breastmilk. Pumping helps maintain milk supply and also provides the mother relief from engorgement when away from the baby for extended periods of time.
- Your partner can help with night feedings - Take turns doing overnight pumps so you both get rest.
- Maintain your milk supply - Pump as often as baby feeds to keep your production up.
- Bottled breast milk for daycare - Supply ready-made bottles for caregivers. Easier than bringing baby to daycare to nurse.
- Immunity protection during daycare germs - Breast milk provides antibodies to fight daycare illnesses.
- Easier travel for business trips - Bottles of pumped milk are portable for work travel. Easier than bringing formula.
- Pumping breaks - Take mini-breaks every 2-3 hours at work to pump. Helps you re-energize.
Having a stockpile of your breast milk ready allows you to focus on your job duties knowing your baby is still getting the tailored nutrition of your milk, even when you can’t be there to nurse them directly.
Choosing the Right Breast Pump as a Working Mom
With your busy schedule, you need a breast pump that is efficient, convenient, and mimics baby’s natural sucking rhythm. Here are some types to consider:
- Double electric pumps - Strongest suction to empty breasts quickly. Allows pumping both sides simultaneously to save time. Best for exclusively pumping.
- Portable pumps - Compact and battery powered for pumping on-the-go. Great for travel, pumping at your desk, or in the car. May need electric for primary pump.
- Hands-free pumps - Allow multitasking while pumping. Come in electric and battery operated versions. Ideal for working mothers.
- Manual pumps - No batteries required and easy to travel with. However, can be time consuming for exclusive pumping. Best as a back-up option.
You may also want to know more: How a Hands-free Breast Pump can Empower a Mother's Breastfeeding Experience?
Your individual needs will determine which pump works best. Talk to other working, pumping moms and lactation consultants to get advice on the top-rated brands and models. Invest in a high-quality breast pump that will optimize your time and milk production.
Optimizing Pumping at Work: Tips for Busy Moms
Adding pumping sessions into your busy workday comes with a learning curve. Here are some tips to help you get into a seamless pumping rhythm:
- Map out times you can pump every 2-3 hours and schedule them like appointments. Be consistent.
- Find a private space like an office or empty conference room to pump. Bring headphones or signage for the door.
- Store milk properly in a cooler bag, ideally with ice packs. Have back-up milk storage bags and bottles ready in your pumping kit.
- Start pumping at work a few days before you return to help your body adjust to the schedule.
- Connect with other working moms at your company who pump. Share tips and emotional support.
- Understand any policies related to pumping and breaks. Know your rights.
- Keep pump parts clean. Wash thoroughly after each use and sanitize at least once per day.
With the right tools and techniques, you can feel confident balancing your breastfeeding relationship with your career. Don’t be afraid to ask for accommodations or support to make pumping at work a success. A quality breast pump paired with a pumping plan tailored to your job will have you producing “liquid gold” in no time!
Invest in Your Breastfeeding Relationship
As a working mom, you put a lot of effort into both your career and your motherhood journey. Using a breast pump helps you nurture both roles. By taking the time to research the best pump options and optimizing its use, you’ll be set up for breastfeeding success.
Remember to be patient with yourself during the transition back to work. Establishing a pumping schedule takes time. Don’t be afraid to tweak your routine until you find a system that maximizes your milk production without interfering with your job performance.
With the right breast pump, support system, and determination, you can reach your breastfeeding goals despite your busy schedule. Your baby will continue thriving on the nutritious milk only you can provide.
Breast Pump Recommendation: Momcozy S12 Wearable Electric Breast Pump
This pump is one of the best electric wearable breast pumps that Momcozy has to offer because it is a wearable pump, it is easy to clean, and it does not contain any potentially toxic chemicals. This breast pump, like the majority of others on the market, has a capacity of 120 milliliters, operates silently, and allows nursing women to use it for a period of up to 90 minutes.
- Very affordable in the long term: When compared to breast pumps that use electricity, this type of breast pump is significantly more affordable. Since the labor of a young mother is all that is required, there is no need to spend money on pricey autonomous batteries.
- Desirable size: The pump is made very compact. Bring it along with you on your daily activities like your walk, commuting, etc. It is not larger than a smartphone, with a screen size of 6 inches when assembled, including the 60 ml bottle.
- Fabricated components: All of the structural components are fabricated from a non-hazardous plastic known as polypropylene and do not include any bisphenol-A. This contributes to the practically imperceptible weight of the structure as well as the possibility of sterilizing the entire structure. Because of its flawless construction, the breast pump can be quickly disassembled and cleaned in even the tiniest of areas.